How to document IT Infrastructure – Free Half day Seminar in Belgium on 19 Feb 2013
This free half day seminar is being run by David Cuthbertson and Phil Spring. It is a joint event between Square Mile Systems and Idealphil sprl.
Axis Parc Conference Centre,
Rue Fond Cattelain, 1
There are two sessions to choose from:
Morning session: 09:00-12:00 (arrival 08:30)
Afternoon session: 13:30-16:30 (arrival 13:00)
Many organisations would like more complete and accurate IT systems documentation, but cannot find a way around their current methods such as multiple isolated spreadsheets and diagrams. The solution could be as simple as adopting standard naming conventions, linking Visio diagrams to Excel, or maybe integrating data sources to remove duplication.
We will show how to efficiently document and keep track of IT infrastructure, which may consist of multiple technologies, locations and support teams.
We’ll cover Visio automation techniques normally only available in our Visio Training courses and show how automation can reduce the numbers of documents to maintain. The infrastructure configuration management techniques we show will lead to :
- increased productivity of IT teams,
- faster delivery of projects,
- reduced costs of change,
- improved risk assessment.
Our case studies and examples will cover :
- Efficient ways to capture data covering inventory, applications, ITIL services
- How to easily document network connectivity, including patching and cabling
- Maintaining LAN/SAN/WAN/Power Visio diagrams across multiple locations
- Automated updates of Visio rack diagrams and data centre floor plans
- Documenting application dependencies and change risks in virtualised infrastructures
- How CMDB data can be used to create Visio service and dependency diagrams
- Integrating auto-discovery, monitoring and other data sources into a common system
- Using Visio as a dashboard for data centre power and space usage
- Using Visio diagrams as a “portal” to other documentation systems and information
The workshop will be interactive and informal with the presenters willing to help with delegate questions. If you want to know the easy ways to create and maintain IT infrastructure documentation then this event will give you ideas, options and a good awareness of what is possible.