Visio Infrastructure Diagramming Made Easy – Workshop Tuesday 21 May 2013
In this full day workshop we’ll be showing techniques and tips on how to get the best out of MS Visio for documenting IT systems and infrastructure. While many IT specialists use MS Visio, few have ever had any training in automation techniques so valuable engineer’s time is wasted.
We will cover Visio techniques that:
- Improve personal productivity
- Introduce standard and consistency across teams
- Make use of Visio automation for larger environments.
The workshop will be interactive and informal with the presenter willing to help with delegate questions. We assume that delegates are already familiar with Visio and will bring their own laptops with Visio 2007 (or 2010/2013) installed.
Cost: EUR200 per person including lunch
Timing: 9am – 4:30 pm
Axis Parc Conference Centre,
Rue Fond Cattelain, 1
Many organisations would like more comprehensive and accurate IT systems documentation, but the effort required trying to use current methods such as standalone spreadsheets and diagrams is too much of a burden. The solution could be simple steps such as adopting standards, consistent naming conventions, linking Visio diagrams to databases, or maybe integrating data sources to remove duplication.
We’ll cover Visio automation techniques and help attendees understand issues relevant to their own environment and show how automation can reduce the numbers of diagrams to maintain, improve the quality and take less effort.
Our case studies and examples will cover:
- Using equipment shapes supplied by manufacturers
- Using the free SMS Visio utilities for floor, rack and network diagrams
- Speeding up diagramming by linking Visio to spread sheets, CMDBs and asset systems
- Integrating Visio with monitoring and alerting systems
- Improving diagramming consistency with Visio templates and standards
- Overnight updates of Visio rack diagrams and data centre floor plans
- Documenting ITIL application/service dependencies
- Maintaining LAN/SAN/WAN/Power Visio diagrams across multiple locations
- Using Visio as a dashboard for infrastructure capacity and status
- How CMDB data can be used to create Visio service and dependency diagrams
- Using Visio diagrams as a “portal” to other documentation systems and information.
As places are limited to 30 people, you will need to register for this event using the form below, or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), fax (+44 870 751 9268) or telephone (+44 870 950 4651).
Please complete all fields to register for this event.
Powered by Fast Secure Contact Form
Joining instructions will be sent a week before the event.